Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin...

I saw Kim yesterday because she was super excited about her new car.

Yes, she got a new car. Now, I haven't experienced any mechanical problems with my Mazda at all, and it's over 2 years old, but Kim seems to have constantly experienced issues with hers including her airbag light going on unnecessarily, a weird humming noise, 2 accidents, and many, many lost hubcaps. The icing on the cake was that she was having issues going in Reverse, which meant around $2,000 to repair the transmission. Mind you, the car is under 3 years old.

So instead she decided to trade that car in and get a new one, and this time a white Scion TC, 2 door coupe. Now, I have to say that it's very cute and sporty looking and of course it's got the brand new shiny car appeal. She went for an upgraded version with a spoiler, rims (not hubcaps), and a bazillion airbags. As can be expected, Kim is beyond the moon with excitement. We celebrated by taking a spin in her new ride and going to Springfield to have a drink and chat. It's been a long time since it's just been her and I chatting without other girls or boyfriends or fiances being around and I really missed that.

I almost want for a new car too, but while I'd love to have my very own Lexus I also hate paying for stuff. To be entirely blunt about it, I don't care to make a car payment. I haven't made one in well over a year and I don't particularly miss it. That money is much better used elsewhere, I promise.

In other, sheisty news I would recommend to any prospective brides to be wary of what they sign up for at a bridal fair. I think in particular because you care so much about your wedding and your perfect day and everything being perfect and magical that it can be easy to forget to simply watch your back. Plus it's an environment where everyone else is doing it so you often feel "what's the harm?" I didn't sign up for a lot, but each thing I signed up for called me. Every single last one said that I was a lucky winner and "aren't you excited?" like a million times, which while terribly annoying is also indicative of creepy behavior and I knew enough to decline. Unfortunately I can see people falling for this kind of sleazy pitch in hopes that they'll have a wonderful vacation.

Great Vacation Destination/Blue Green was really creepy, sleazy sounding. When someone has to pitch you and hype you up 3-4 times about what you're winning and then slip in the fact they need your credit card number it totally reeks of bad business. In short, don't make a brash decision before discussing it with a loved one or researching your options online. If you win anything, you should win it outright and not have to jump through any kind of hoops or pay any kinds of fees to get it. This should sound like common sense, but I think it's hard to keep your wits about you when you think that you're special.

Not to say that people don't win prizes...just that it's quite rare and they'll never ask anything of you apart from maybe a few promotional pictures to show off their wares.

You don't have to take my word on it, but my coworker Liz who also went to a bridal fair and signed up for way more stuff than I did is regretting it after numerous solicitors have been calling her home after 9pm looking to talk her into "free" china sets for going to a cooking demonstration (better known as a high pressure sales pitch for sub par pots and pans). So needless to say Liz isn't a fan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Jawline Sharp Enough to Cut Glass

Layover Woe